My sister, Mayra, and I are the oldest grandchildren on my mom's side of the family (the Velasquez side). Mayra is 22 and I am 21. Then, there is a 6 year gap and its Cristina, Danny, and Manny-- all of which are 15 years old. (There are many more grandchildren but all who are younger that 15 and they are all closer in age)
Until now, this age gap was filled with apathy. A vacuum of blahhh. It meant, boring Velasquez family parties. It meant, I was closer in age to my uncles and aunts than my cousins.
Still, there was a delicate line there. We didn't quite belong at the kids table (although we always chose it), but at the same time we could not find our place with the adults. For about 11 years, I was waiting to be considered fully one or the other, a crossover of some sort.
In the back of my mind, i thought that crossover would occur in conjunction with a celebration.
This is what i mean. I thought it come in the form of a wedding or a baby shower; a wedding for me, or a baby shower for one of my little cousins. That way, i'd either be able to relate with the married adults or one of my cousins would move up to the adult table by having a child and by default bring me along.
This weekend Manny (my brother) and Cristina (my cousin) came down to visit my sister and i.
Their train was late, so i had some spare time. i located the nearest bathroom and walked in. As i washed my hande, looked in the mirror and like feet landing on a cold floor, it hit me.
The crossover had already occurred.
It occurred without a warning, without an announcement, without a ceremony, and without bothering to let me know.
I took a step back and studied myself in the mirror. Although this was not a near death experience, my life flashed before me. All the following questions marquee-ed across my brain.
And, i do. really do.
**Mark 8:34
CONVERSATION