New Clothes

We are really good at inviting our old selves back into our new lives. 

Like when you've tried on tons of outfits and you revert to your old jeans and high school t-shirt-- at least thats what I do. It feels good, and you feel comfortable. Until you realize that those clothes don't really suit who you are and what you do anymore. Once you look closely, they clothes are not the right size, they're dirty, stained, and ripped.

We do this in life too. At the sight of familiar situations, we resort back to old emotions, attitudes, thoughts, beliefs, mind sets. At the sight of a stressful situation the same also holds true.

God knows this and because He is merciful, He gives us this command-- I like to view it as a gift.

Ephesians 4:22-24
"You were taught with regard to you former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires, to be made new in the attitude of your minds and you put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."

God says, daughter, son, "Forget your old self and everything that came with it. Do not just say you are different than before. Be different than before. Believe me when I say that I made you new. Act like it, but don't just act like I made you new, BE NEW. Your reactions, your emotions, your attitudes should all be NEW, different than before you knew Me.

For me, my emotions tend to stay in the old. When that happens, I am failing to be what God created me to be. When that happens, I am opting to reject God's will for me and letting my emotions run rampant with corruption. I hate that; I hate that I do that. God tells me that I don't have to submit to corruption. He tells me that I have a choice, a better choice. 

You do not need to submit to your old emotions, actions, desires, attitudes, thoughts, or ideas.

How?                                             

Let Him renew your mind.

Renew means to give fresh live or strength.

How?                                             

John Piper, said it best in his sermon about this verse saying, 
"STOP looking at the world so much".

How you you expect God to renew your mind? How do you expect God to make your mind new when you keep reminding it of the old and/or filling it with ways of the world. 

Our old selves are being corrupted by deceitful desires. That is a fact, but we have the ability, the choice, the gift to be able to put on out new selves CREATED to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

That is the real sign of a Christ follower, to choose to believe God and go forth and live it. Fruit will overflow because you are connected to the Vine. Fruit will sprout up because all that you do, all that you think is in the new self, created in true righteousness and holiness. 

I know for a lot of use summer holds familiar situations for a lot of us. We get the opportunity to go home if we are at college. We get to see old friends and if you haven't seen them in a while they will expect you to act a certain way. I urge you to be careful; do not put on the old self. Wear the garments that Christ so willingly and humbly died to give to us. Those garments are not dirty or stained. They are white as wool and fit you perfectly for they were created by the Living God.

In the same way, I know that summer also holds new situations for some of us-- including myself. Stay rooted in Christ. Keep putting on new clothes so that those around us see attitudes, emotions, and actions unlike the world, making them wonder where we got them. The garments always point to their designer.

CONVERSATION

Back
to top