The Recollections of my Heart

I  just told myself,
"Guard your heart... Guard your heart...Guard your heart"

That command is so pregnant with meaning; so filled with purpose. WIth every new season in my life, I uncover more reasons as to why the Creator of heaven and Earth commands me to guard my heart above everything else.

If you know me at all, you know that my memory is above average. God gave it to me for sure, no doubt, and I don't resent Him for it.

Recently, I've discovered that my memory is so vivid because the Lord made my soul sensitive to detail. He made me a giver, and if all I can take away from a moment, is a memory, I'll take it... I'll take it and I'll share it. I'll take it. I'll hold it near, and dear, and visit it often.

I was blessed with an extraordinary memory, but it gets really tricky when it comes to guarding my heart. If it let it, the recollections interfere with my waiting and sometimes with my progress.

When my heart wanders, its usually ends up at a memory. Then, next thing I know, I re-lived my entire life through memories and have failed to read, or write, or eat, or __(fill in the blank)_, but mostly it robs my sleep.

As I seek to rest, He speaks to me,
"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life"

He asks of me,
"Keep your heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life"

An unredeemed heart is foolish, but a redeemed heart holds the key to Life.
So sometimes, I have to choose not to go there. Sometimes, I have to stay away from that cozy comfortable little nook in my mind where memories constantly play, where the colors haven't lost their sharpness, where the aromas still awake my senses, and where the touch remains tangible.

And in that place, in that decision, is the choice to guard my heart.

CONVERSATION

Back
to top